Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 28, 2013

She's Claiming Space

This is the sign she made for her bedroom door.  Just below it is a calendar she marks everyday--herself. 

Why?  I ponder what it means.

She says it lists all of her favorite things - in her best, bored, I-cant-believe-you-do-not-know-the-answer-to-this-mom voice.

"My favorite color- Pink."
"My favorite animals - Dogs and Cats."
"My favorite...thing to do - Play"  (you have to pause, because she did--in that um-why-did-I-put-that-on-there way)

She stands and looks at it.  Then, grabs her black marker off her dresser and begins marking on her calendar.  I say nothing about the fact that she used packaging tape to hang her signs on her door.  After all, she's just claiming her space...making her way...saying "hey, here I am."  And, I want her to know who she is and at 6, I think that's a pretty cool time to start.

1 comment:

Chantel said...

I remember doing much the same. Most of my childhood I shared a room with my two sisters--the day I got my own, I staked it as MINE! :)