Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Will I Meet Him in Heaven?

So, last post I mentioned knowing that Grandpa was saved, but I put those details off for today.

We often hear when someone dies, "Well, they are in a better place."  "We'll see them again in heaven."  "He's better off today."

Well, obviously IF that person was saved by the blood of Jesus then all of those statements hold great and eternal truth.  BUT, what if they weren't saved?  Then, all of the warm, fuzzy words we spew from our mouths to bring comfort cannot change their eternal damnation.

As I contemplated giving the eulogy at Grandpa's funeral, I knew I would hear all of those phrases.  In fact, my eulogy was going to center on pointing Grandpa's family to serving the God he spoke about, the God he proclaimed to know.  But, did I know that he knew Him?  Did I ever ask Grandpa about his salvation experience?  Did I know the day he was saved?  Did he have that life-changing moment or was he using his lips to give testimony to a salvation experience he never had?  I wanted to know.  I needed to know.  But, how?  Grandpa was dead.

I wondered if anyone knew.  So, as I prayed about the eulogy (even before Grandpa died) I asked God to let me know that Grandpa was truly in heaven.  I heard nothing.  I knew God wanted me to speak at the funeral.  I knew what I was to say.  Yet, I did not receive confirmation that we would see Grandpa again...yet.

An hour before I was to speak in the church beside the casket of my grandfather, I left the family and stole away to a quiet room in the church.  I prayed and thought.  I asked again for God to reveal to me that all I would say about Grandpa in my eulogy was right.  I had a peace that it was, but no earthly evidence.  I rested and returned to the family.  I would speak first that day.

After I spoke, I sat thinking of all the things I forgot to say.  Two preachers spoke after me.  As I listened to them, I heard them say those things I had forgotten.  Then, I heard one preacher say he remembered the day Grandpa was saved.  My heart jumped within my frame and I sat up, ears perked, smiling within my soul.  God was going to answer me.

The preacher didn't stop there, he recounted in detail the day Grandpa gave his life to the Lord.  He also gave details about Grandpa's daddy and how devoted to God he was--a lineage of God-fearing people.

I would see Grandpa again.  What I had felt to be true had been confirmed by the loving hands of my God.  I had completed a task He had given me and He had blessed me with the answer I sought.  He didn't have to reveal truth to me.  He did though because He loves me.  He loves you.  Do you love Him?

No comments: