Search This Blog

Saturday, February 13, 2010

Doing the RIGHT thing.....

The snow is still nestled on the ground in the shady areas of our yard, but the inevitable drip-drip-drip is being heard everywhere else as the magical white stuff gives way to the rising sun. We were planning to attend the rodeo this weekend, but the surprise snow postponed our plans. So all that is left of our weekend is a cow sale, which I opted out of.....at first. Carting a 1-year old and 3-year old in 50-degree weather while we "window-shop" for beef cattle isn't exactly my idea of a fun time. And maybe if a cursory glance at a Simmental cow was all that was required, I'd pass the test. Instead by the time my husband finishes his initial inspection, then a second, and maybe even a third inspection, I feel like I ought to buy the darn cow because I know way too much about her to leave her there--we've formed a personal relationship!

Alas, as I debated my decision to stay behind, my heart tugged at my defenses as I thought about how much family time means, regardless of where you are or what you are enjoying. I also had to remember that just last weekend my darling husband took a 4 1/2 hour trip with me to Baton Rouge (that's one way) so we could visit my parents and go to two Mardi Gras parades. So, I know that what the "right" thing to do is--and I plan to do it with my cowboy boots on (in preparation for the inevitable poop), silk thermal underwear under my jeans, and a big gracious smile on my face. Upon informing my three-year old that we were going she said, "I'll go, if you go, mommy!" Now that's team work....so here we go!

No comments: