Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 13, 2019

Bible Study or Facebook

I'm not going to lie.  I'm going to be completely honest with you.  Each morning when I wake up and have the choice of what to do for the thirty minutes before I begin teaching Chinese children English, I would choose to...get on Facebook.  Or rest my eyes.  Or scroll through my email.  Or check out LinkedIn.  Or a myriad of other things except read my Bible.

Now, sometimes I'm gung-ho and have a Bible study that is just too tempting and I am ready to dive in.  Sometimes I have a book I am reading about Christianity and I tell myself it's perfectly fine to substitute the Bible reading out and the book in.  I know myself.  I can convince myself of a lot of things.

The truth is I am learning that the more I don't want to do something, the more I should do it.  When I hear that nudge from God to open my Bible, I should do it.  But, it is hard.  Why?

Well, it's easy to scroll mindlessly through Facebook.  I really accomplish nothing, but it takes no brainpower.  It's a lazy, addictive habit.  (I wish exercise was so addictive.)

But to do anything that is beneficial, I must exercise willpower and demand control over my mind, body, and spirit. 

And I have had pockets of great willpower and pockets of absolute laziness throughout my life.

Sometimes I simply think, "Well, what should I read, Lord?  Should I get a Bible study?  Should I just read a random book or verse?"  And sometimes because I don't know, I'll opt for the phone scrolling.  After all, it's too much thought first thing in the morning.  Right?

Or not.  Maybe the question isn't what I should read, but that there should never be the question.

I've walked this walk long enough to know that when I am seeking Him, He always takes me right where He wants me to go.  The Bible that I haphazardly open will take me directly to the verse I need.  My contemplation of that verse will cause me to journal and pray. 

And, yes, when I seek Him, He even uses Facebook or any other mindless media to bring Truth to me.  But, the key is to seek Him FIRST.  We do this through prayer, the Bible, and sacrifice.

So, this week my mind is set.  Those thirty minutes are devoted to the Lord, just time with God.  Bible Open.  Check.  Journal Near Me.  Check.  Pen Available.  Check.  Waiting Heart.  Check.

And the question becomes, "Lord, what would YOU have me to do today?  I have no plans, but YOUR plans."

This is a far cry from the whiteboard filled with all of MY plans.  Trust me, it's scary.

But, waiting on the Lord may seem scary at first, but I am learning it is actually the only way to have peace. 

So, go ahead, I encourage you.  Make up your mind with me.  What will the first thirty minutes of your day look like tomorrow?  Plan it now.

This is the day the Lord has made, I will rejoice and be glad in it.  Psalm 118:24

No comments: