Search This Blog

Thursday, August 8, 2019

Wherefore art thou, Shakespeare?

As part of our homeschool education, I want my children to learn about the culture and the history of the world.  I want them to understand the whys.  This is the fun and exciting part to me.  Now, my kids may not always use those two words--fun and exciting--to describe their feelings about school, but there are moments when I see them get it.

One being with Shakespeare.  Last year, they read several of his plays.  For the most part, they called them dumb, but we took one play and they made their own doll characters and used the dolls to act out and video their own play.  They still moan and groan about it, but I've convinced myself they will appreciate it when they are older.  (Yes, I'm a MOM and can totally convince myself of these things.)

So, this year we are continuing with Shakespeare.  I want to work on their memorization skills, so we are slowly memorizing while writing (print and cursive) a part of a Shakespeare play WORD FOR WORD.  The first week it was two lines, then the next week I added two more lines.

My son said, "I know what you are doing."  His voice was even, yet totally a cool detective who had solved the crime of the century.

I deadpanned because I had no idea what he was talking about.  My days aren't very mysterious.

He went on, "You're going to have us write this whole thing line by line."

"Ummmmm, yes," I reply.

He walks over to a book on my chair and reads the title, "How To Teach Your Children Shakespeare.  Oh, come on, mom," he groans, "We are so hiding this book from you!"

I laugh as he walks out shaking his head.  I have no doubt they will try to do just that.  Last week, I found one of my books stuffed behind a pillow in their bedroom.  Seriously.

But, for all the back-and-forth we do I must say it is and has been one of the greatest blessings God has given me.

For example, each day they read about a martyr for the faith and I ask them to later narrate back to me the story.  I chose my over-achieving daughter to do it one day and my son later muttered, "She left out the whole story."

The next day, I asked for volunteers, my son jumped in, "Please let me do it.  She did a TERRIBLE job yesterday."

To which brings a round of giggles and tickles.  And that is why I know I am blessed to be walking this path with them.  I can't remake these memories.  This is it.  And I do pray, with tears running down my face, that I never forget the prayer my Father answered for me in this homeschool journey.

I'm amazed at their minds and I am overjoyed to be able to see their minds work, to hear their thoughts, to see them get it, to experience their knowledge gain, and even to hear their whining and see it turn to want-to and know-how!

Um, has anyone seen my Shakespeare book, "Wherefore art thou, Shakespeare?"

No comments: