Search This Blog

Saturday, August 31, 2019

Gratitude In Small Ways Creates Gratitude Every Day



I like positive people.  Don't you?

The other day I was waiting at the back of my car for my groceries to be wheeled out of the grocery store and I saw a man I knew to be full of the faith walking across the parking lot.  He was only feet from me, but he didn't see me.  I almost called out to him, but before I could do that he looked down and saw a couple of coins at his feet.  I saw a big smile spread across his face and he bent down to pick up the coins and he said, "WooHee, now that's a blessing!  Blessing!"  I watched him and felt a big smile on my face, too.  I did not call out to him because I didn't want to interrupt that moment he was having with God.  I felt privileged that I had witnessed it from the sidelines.  Here was a man who lived a humble life by America's standards, but who is so filled with love for the Lord that he glows when you see him.  He didn't look at these coins as trash or a nuisance as most of us would, instead he saw the blessing God had given HIM.  His gratitude was in everything!

Later this week, I was refueling my husband's truck since I've borrowed it all week (more on that to follow).  I always get gas at a certain local store where Tommy brings a big smile and pumps my gas for me.  I really like that.  Knowing that I don't normally drive my husband's truck, Tommy asked about why I was in it.  I told him and said, "It's a little bumpy, but it works fine."  To which, Tommy retorted, "Yeah, but you riding fine and with air conditioning, too!"  That made me smile because he was right.  What complaint did I have?  I was cool and taken to every place I needed to go.  Tommy reminded me about gratitude in the small things again.

Now, back to my car.  A week ago, some of my family took me out for my birthday.  As we were traveling back from the restaurant, a deer ran from the side of the road and waylaid my car!  My poor Bessie!

I mean, to fully understand this you may need to know two things about Bessie.  Number One:  Bessie is my car I have had for 12 years and I love her.  Number Two:  The reason I love her is because every morning as we traveled to work and school, my kids and I would pray for Bessie.  That's right, we would pray for Bessie!  In my mind, if my ultimate goal was to come home with my children, then Bessie could not break down.  I needed Bessie to run like a sewing machine and could not be tied down to a car note.  I needed to be financially frugal and I saw Bessie as just one way to help me get to where God was calling me, so I put Bessie in God's hands EVERY DAY.

So, when I heard the very loud thud of the deer hitting the driver's side door of my Bessie, tears sprang to my eyes.  I had just been having a conversation with God in my mind about how He was taking care of me and how grateful I was and then BAM--the deer.  I admit I at first felt dismayed.  I had just been praising the Lord and then this!  Then, my mind immediately turned to gratitude again--gratitude that my family was unharmed in this collision and yes, while Bessie's door was majorly dented, she was fine.  Thank you, Lord, for your mercy and kindness to me.  And my husband called and got a body shop to fix Bessie and I dropped her off and told the insurance company.  And, that's that and I am grateful.

With Bessie in the shop, I borrowed my husband's truck for the three days this week I'd need to leave my home to get some work done for a few of my clients.  It was great.  I thanked God for the truck that was available to me while sweet Bessie was being worked on.  My kids changed Bessie's name to "Bent-sie" for the week and we moved forward.  Until, something happened to my husband's truck.

On my final day to borrow the truck, I stopped at the dollar store to pick up a few items to make a dessert requested by my son.  I went in, got the items, and came out.  I cranked the truck, put my foot on the brake to shift from park to drive and felt the brake give way all the way to the floor.  Now, I'm not very smart when it comes to vehicles.  I really give little thought to how they work or why or how I'm supposed to maintain them.  I have a great mechanic who knows I need extra help and a husband who DEFINITELY knows I need extra help, but when the brake pushed all the way to the floor, I knew something didn't 'feel' right.  (Ha ha!)  So, I pressed the gas and reversed the truck, stepped on the brake again and it gave all the way to the floor.  Okay, Houston we have a problem.  I talked to myself for a moment, because I'm not a fast thinker in these types of situations.  But Self and I decided we needed to pull back into a parking space and call the husband.  After the phone call, I realized the brake line was busted--i.e. NO BRAKES!

No brakes is scary.  And for a moment I thought, "Okay, God, now I've stepped out and everything can't fall apart."  But, then I remembered gratitude, "Thank you, Jesus, that my children are not with me.  Thank you, Jesus, that I was not driving down the road.  Thank you, Jesus, that the brake fluid escaped while I was shopping and was drained so much when I came out that the truck was broke while it sat safely in a parking space.  Thank you, Jesus, that Bessie is fixed today and can be picked up Monday.  Thank you, Jesus, that my husband knows how to fix this.  Thank you, Jesus, that my in-laws have a trailer that will fit this truck and no tow truck expense is needed.  Thank you, Jesus, that my parents have an extra vehicle that could be borrowed if needed.  Thank you, Jesus, that my husband is good and kind and grateful for my safety, too.  Thank you, Jesus, for your mercy and kindness to me.  You are my good God!"

And, that's how I end the week, sitting in my favorite chair with tears spilling down my cheeks, watching out my sun room window as a fall-ish Saturday morning passes by and God declares, "I see you."

Amen.   

No comments: