Search This Blog

Monday, July 29, 2019

A New Day

The first day as a work-from-home mama and I admit I planned for it.  I had my schedule written out on my whiteboard and on the kid's whiteboard.  There is no way we didn't know what to do today.  If I had failed today I was pretty sure I might have fallen apart.  So, scheduling was a must.  Even with the schedule, I knew we would learn something.  What did we learn?

Going to town takes longer than I anticipated! 

This is the reason that I have honed going to town down to two days in my week and hope it stays there.  In fact, my daughter was quick to point out that I exceeded the amount of time dedicated to going to town by almost an hour!  Yikes!  But, by the end of the day, we had readjusted and though there are still things on my to-do list, I feel good. 

I enjoyed walking outside to check the mail.  I loved looking out my kitchen window and seeing the goats munching grass in the yard.  I smiled hearing my kiddos working together to do the laundry.  I thanked God for my car once again and how He keeps it on the road (it's paid for).  I felt blessed sitting on the rug in my room while the kids and I worked through a Bible study and prayed for the list of people who have requested prayer because I simply asked if they needed it. 

And, maybe you wonder what did that day look like by the numbers.  Well, here it is....our schedule:

5:00  I get up to teach one Chinese student after having my coffee.
6:00  Get dressed, cook breakfast, and get kids up.  (In case you are wondering, getting dressed isn't a prerequisite to teaching Chinese children who only see me from the shoulders up!)
7:00  Back to teaching Chinese children while the kids read and then they head outside.
9:00  Meet kids for worship and prayer.
9:30  Head to town to make deposits for my clients, drop a paycheck off and mail a letter.  We also stopped and purchased some Muscadine Juice.  Yum!  I've been craving it and my son loves it, too.  So, we made a special trip to get some.  Then, my daughter decided she would try some pickled baby corn since she isn't into the Muscadine Juice.  We also had to stay a few minutes extra in the bank drive-thru when the sweet teller asked me if I had any extra books for her grandkids in my car.  I did and had my son climb over seats and into the back of the car until he unearthed three books for her, which I handed over through the drive-thru drawer.  I love stuff like that, a little love spread in the unlikeliest of places. 

Then, we had to stop by the grocery store to pick up a few things I needed for the crockpot beef stew I had planned for supper.  Finally, we turned toward home.

By then, it was unpacking the groceries and grabbing a quick lunch.  We sat down together at the dining room table and hashed through our plans for homeschool.  We started reading Corrie Ten Boon's story, which the kids convinced me to read aloud.  Then, they were off to study French, complete their math work, watch BrainPop, and do their handwriting (which my son loathes).  I headed back to work.  The kids finished up homeschool, worked in the laundry room, baked sugar cookies, and finally took a break for YouTube Videos at 4 while I continued working. 

By 5, I was ready to eat the stew I had been smelling all afternoon along with a corn casserole. 

And, somewhere during my day, I did take a 20-minute nap.  The kids took the opportunity to sneak back outside.  They had built a ramp so the smallest goats could get on top of the hay bails like the adult goats do, so they wanted to also show the dogs how to use it.

It's not breaking up companies and selling them.  It's not brain surgery.  It's not trekking through jungles, but it's the place God has put me and I feel settled in and I see the lovely in it.  As I sit here typing this to you, I see the ways God loves us and understands why one mama would find solace in this and want to get up again tomorrow and the next day and the next day and do it all again. 

There is so much to tell you, but there is another day.  For now, I think a cup of coffee and a book are in my future. 

If you are in need of prayer, please let me know.  It'd be my honor to speak to God about you. 

No comments: