Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 17, 2019

Choosing the Road

It's Day 3 - Yep, I Quit My Job

So much has already happened in three days, but today I want to leave this right here.  It's a moment I had with God a couple of weeks before I stepped out in faith:  


The other day I was traveling to the Mississippi Gulf Coast, something I have done many times on my own.  Just in case there is some unexpected road work, I have a habit of still using my GPS, which I did on this day.  For many miles, I traveled a lonely stretch of four-lane, no cell service, and few cars. I enjoy this type of driving, just me and the road.  But, as I got closer to my destination my GPS alerted me to take a turn to the right. I knew this wasn’t my normal route and gave the GPS a frown.  It prompted me again to make the turn. I had an internal debate with myself--stay on the same road and see nothing new or take a chance. I reasoned that I like back roads and a new route might prove more interesting than the hustle and bustle of the interstate I would soon be traveling on.  Deep in my gut, I felt the prompting to take the turn. I took a breath and made that turn. Immediately, I was rewarded with aesthetic views of green grass, trees, and life. I passed by wood homes and brick homes. I saw people living, going about their every day on this road they called home.  I passed over a river and saw a string of houseboats hunkered down along the sandy bank. Because my eyes had never seen this part of the country, I was alert and looking, excited about what I might see next. And the ride did not disappoint me. I came around a curve and saw Texas Longhorns ambling through a field.  I saw a huge ship anchor resting at the end of a driveway. I saw a swing hanging just feet from the road and I pondered the reason. Because I took the turn, my curiosity was peaked and my mind felt freer. Possibility was around every turn. I felt a weight slip from my mind and knew that this turn was ordained for me.  God wanted to show me that while not everyone makes the choice to take the turn from the freeway of life, some do. The prompting to take the turn is scary and risky. By nature going where we don’t know what is up ahead prompts fear in us. I can’t help thinking of Robert Frost’s poem “The Road Not Taken” as I write these words and the ending words keep reverberating within me, “And that has made all the difference.”

No comments: