Search This Blog

Friday, July 19, 2019

Plastic Faces

Day 4 - Yes, I did quit my job.

I missed posting Day 4 yesterday, so here it is today...right on time.

Do you know that look you get on your face when someone is telling you something and your mind thinks, "Crazy, they're lying, or I can't wait to tell someone else THIS," but you put the mask on your face and you keep smiling and listening?  Maybe you even nod your head as if you agree with what the person is saying, but your eyes tell the truth.  You know it's the Barbie face mask.  It's plastic.  You're holding the plastic face up, but underneath you are really doubting this person's sanity.

That's the look I've been seeing a lot of this week.  Normal questions of, "Where are you going?" or "What are you doing?" are the order of the day.  And I expect them and would ask them myself.  Each time I draw in a breath to answer, I weigh whether to tell them my heart or give them a quick version.  Do I share with them my guts?  Can they understand the call of the Lord?  Is the Spirit in them enough to feel My Spirit?  Do they feel inferior or doubt themselves?

If I told them I had taken a job making $80,000 a year, they'd all smile and congratulate me.  They'd think I had hit it big and they'd call me successful.  If I told them we were building a 2,500 square foot house, they'd be impressed and maybe even want to be my friend.  If I said I'm sailing to the Bahamas and going to live there, they'd think I was cool.  Boy, I'd have made it then, wouldn't I?

Or would I?  Because after all is the money, house, vacation all there is in the world?  Is that what we are living for?  Will it last in the face of eternity?

Go ahead, put on your plastic face.  I'll put on mine.  No, I can't.  My arms are too tired to hold up the mask.  I'm too exhausted to pretend.  I can't run from the Lord any more than Jonah could and frankly I don't want to.



No comments: